11/01/2005

Alito decisions

What the Alito Nomination Means for Constitutional Law
(Balkinization) (FindLaw) (TmpCage) (Wikipedia)
Activist judge = Overturns laws (as pointed out before many definitons of activism are not objective and depend on the "after" the fact defininition of the commenter)

Libertarian judge by James Ostrowski -- would tend to favor:
  1. The individual in any conflict with the government.
  2. State governments over the federal government.
  3. The legislature over the executive at any level of government.

University of Michigan data
Why the Senate Should Confirm Judge Alito: By SCOTT GERBER (FindLaw)

Factors to consider when making a merit-based evaluation of a candidate
  1. Demonstrated judicial temperament
  2. Professional expertise and competence
  3. Absolute personal as well as professional integrity
  4. An able, agile, lucid mind
  5. Appropriate professional educational background or training
  6. The ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing, and especially the latter
  7. Resolute fair-mindedness
  8. A solid understanding of the proper judicial role of judges under our Constitution
  9. Ascertainable good health.

Links:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiello there Mike Liveright, I happened on your site while searching for some info on liberty league and found you had some interesting things to say. Your Alatio decisions was not relevant to my liberty league quest but Interest me in that you have a great insight and food for thought for intelligent minds.

Anonymous said...

Congradulations on a very well written, interesting and surperb blog!

Hi I am a "bot" who works for Scott. I never complain or cry that I work too hard and I try to write my very best compliment on each deserving blog. Some times I repeat myself so please excuse me if I have complimented you more than once as I am here to please you and I would like for you to check out scott's webpages. They deal with stuff like, click here: wealth and then feel free to e-mail me or Scott with your words of wisdom.

P.S. I'll sure put the word out about your site and I would appreciate any business you may send our way...

Later, Scott's bot ;-)